Monday, May 17, 2010

Where She Shops: West/Feren's Alison Pawling on Her Summer Essentials

It has only been a year and a half since designer Alison Pawling launched West/Feren, but the Brooklyn-based handbag company is already expanding. Pawling is now offering a collection of leather bracelets and belts--all lined with West/Feren's signature print--and they're selling out quickly.

Pawling lives in Brooklyn and manufactures the line in New York, so the designer knows this city up and down. Here, Pawling highlights her favorite boutiques for summer essentials:

When summer time comes around, I like my clothing arsenal to be stocked with the most comfortable key pieces, so I can survive the NY summer heat.

Comptoir Des Cotonniers
I find shorts to be the most frightening transition of summer.  I put them on during the styling process each morning, and I cringe at the sight of these foreign, and newly uncovered legs! Fortunately, I tried on these incredible shorts at Comptoir des Cotonniers, and am no longer afraid to show my stems on the streets of Manhattan. They are perfectly high waisted, and have a great cuff at the hip, which is very slimming.   
155 Spring Street
New York, NY 10012-5208
(212) 274-0830

comptoirdescotonniers.com

Madewell
One important key to looking cute, even when its 150 degrees and humid on the streets of NYC, is to have a perfect, ‘non flip flop’ shoe you can wear without socks. This season, I chose a cute lace up oxford shoe. They look great with a short floral shirt, or even a skinny jean. I found my pair at Madewell.
486 Broadway
New York, NY 10013-2631
(212) 226-6954 

madewell1937.com

Olives Very Vintage, Brooklyn
I go to Olives on Court Street in Brooklyn to find some staple vintage cotton prairie dresses and skirts that I know will get me through the hottest of days. Some vintage shops require a serious commitment of both time and energy in order to sift through the racks--but Olives is beautifully edited and always manages to be season appropriate.
434 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11231
(718) 243-9094

olivesveryvintage.com

Reiss
Reiss is the store I save my money to shop at. I know that I will inevitably fall in love with something there, so I stash some money away and hide out until I see something that I must have. This originally UK brand has an AMAZING FIT. You are bound to find some beautifully tailored, their jackets and blazers are great for dressing up and down. Great pieces for transitioning from day to night.
313 Bleecker St
New York, 10014
(212) 488-2411

reiss.co.uk

1 comment:

  1. Maureen Dempsey! I love your blog, as well as your work with InStyle. I am a college student, undergoing a Journalism and English double major with a Business Management minor. Not to mention, I have one of the greatest passions for fashion! I tried applying for the InStyle summer internship under Time Inc, but have yet to hear back from anyone. How can I get involved? Please email me at Lgrose10@gmail.com

    Lauren Grose

    ReplyDelete